Wednesday, January 7, 2009

It's been a while

I know I haven't written in quite some time. Some of my more devoted readers have probably gone into a state of utter despair.

But don't fear. I'm ready to get back into hockey writing.

Here's a quick assessment of the NHL so far:

1) In the East, the Bruins and Capitals appear to be the real deal. Both clubs have shown how to build a team around a core of young players. The main difference for the B's this season? Phil Kessel is finally playing like a top 5 draft choice. For the Caps, the whole system of youth has simply gelled perfectly.

The Rangers, on the other hand, ought to fire Tom Renney (or whoever is running the power play, for that matter). With these guys, on any given night, you'll see a completely different, inconsistent team. And should this come as any surprise? After all, the line combinations are changed just as often.

2) The West, the west, the west. What is there to say? It's still better than the East, for one. [Insightful analysis, I know]. This year's Winter "Classic" was an exciting showing, although I question the league's decision to put the Red Wings in the game. We know the Red Wings are that team in the middle of America that's simply the best every season - even when they don't win the Cup. Hasn't America gotten bored of the Motor City boys? I mean, all they do is, well, win. Next year, I say the NHL put an East/West matchup in the WC; say, the Rangers and the Stars. We can play the game at the Ballpark in Arlington. I only truly meant a small amount of what I just wrote.

But I digress.

You've got to love the Blackhawks. A slow start, a coaching change, and suddenly the youth movement is in full swing - even if Patrick Kane looks 13. And San Jose - well, I'd say it's about time Doug Wilson brought home a Cup for the Sharks.

It's now January 7th, 2009 and I am officialy picking the Stanley Cup Finals - the Sharks against the Capitals, with the Sharks winning in 7 games! You heard it at Playedonice -- a crummy blog written by a "nobody" -- first.

3) Sean Avery could be just what the struggling Rangers need.

4) I pledge to start writing in this thing more. I'll start now by giving my game of the week to watch. It's a weekly [who woulda guessed that] segment I'll be doing for each conference. After the game, analysis will ensue. This week, for the West:

Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers - Tonight, 10 PM ET.
-Mats Sundin MAY play but WILL be paid $5 million regardless. We here at Playedonice have the greatest respect for Mats, even if all those Swedes in New York couldn't lure him to the Rangers. Money apparently can buy happiness.
-This game is also a crucial Northwest matchup. Currently, Dion Phaneuf and the sloppy-seconds Flames [whoops] are only 5 points up on the Canucks with a game in hand.

For the East:

Montreal Canadiens at Boston Bruins - Tuesday, 7 PM ET

-The Canadiens will return to the TD Banknorth Garden following a thrashing during their last visit. Apparently, Montreal thought the Bruins would roll over and die like they did through much of the "rivalry." Expect this contest to be a little closer. The Bruins are clearly the better team this season, and have dominated on home ice.

1 comment:

Everett said...

C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS!