Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Games of the Week: Boston Asserts Dominance

I was scheduled (by yours truly) to analyze Vancouver's game vs. Edmonton, and the return of Mats Sundin. However, good ole Mats did not register any points in this game -- and I sure as heck wasn't able to watch the contest. Thus, my analysis would merely be a regurgitation of someone else's evaluation. Therefore, I won't discuss this game.

That being said, it's worth noting that through four games with the Canucks, Sundin has just a goal and an assist. Talk about a bust! I mean, this guy was the first overall pick! [20 years ago] [Disclaimer: I'm kidding]

In the OTHER game of the week, while the Edmonton Oilers thrashed the Capitals just down the East Coast, the All-Star Montreal Canadiens [see my All-Star post following this one] stormed into TD Banknorth Garden Tuesaday night for dinner and a movie with their "arch-rivals," the Bruins. For the second straight time, Boston overcame their neighbor to the north, proven that the tables in the Northeast Division have indeed turned since last season.

Goaltender Tim Thomas called his club's 3-1 victory "one of the funnest games" he's played this year, and patented the word "funnest" in the process. The team was led by two goals from defensive slugger Zdeno Chara, who finally seems to be pulling his weight in Beantown.

The Bruins, like teams such as the Washington Capitals, have experienced somewhat of a revival this season. Tuesday night's game was the 11th home sellout of the year, and coaches and players alike called the atmosphere "playoff-like."

Expect the B's to slow things down a bit in the coming weeks for one reason: Phil Kessel managed to get mono, either through sharing a soda with someone, or, well, doing something else. This season, Kessel's third in the NHL, the forward has finally lived up to his early draft selection. With Kess gone from the lineup for 2-4 weeks, the B's will miss the outstanding skating ability #81 brings to the table -- especially this Saturday at Washington.

Marco Sturm is also sidelined, likely for quite some time, with a knee injury. He hasn't been the biggest factor on this team, but nevertheless, every injury counts. Lastly, Milan Lucic, the most overrated player in the NHL BY FAR, sat Tuesday due to an "undisclosed" injury [gotta love those...]

This week, I won't be profiling a West game, just to get my bearings. As you can see above, the first time I tried to do it, I failed miserably, and I need to really figure out what I'm doing before I can effectively try it. It's like playing with fire, that West.

Anyway, the East game:

Boston Bruins at Washington Capitals, Saturday, 7PM

-This matchup is far more anticipated in my eyes than Ovechkin vs. Crosby tonight. The last time the club's met, it was the Caps coming out on top. This time, I'll have to predict the same result. The Bruins are battling injuries, and barring a total collapse from those ever-unpredictable Capitals goalies, the Caps should be able to fight this one out and prove they're the best team in the East. Prediction [NEW!]: Capitals 2-1.

No comments: