Monday, July 14, 2008

Welcome, all fans of the greatest game in the world

"This game is slippery. It's played on ice." -Emile Francis

In case you were wondering, that's how I came up with the title of this blog. A quote from the famous Rangers coach of the 1970s, Emile Francis. However, he wasn't that great, seeing as how the Blueshirts wouldn't win a Stanley Cup until 1994, the year I turned 6 - so it's not like Francis was someone of my generation anyway. Nice quote, though.

Allow me to introduce myself (in a very non-descriptive manner).

I am currently a student at a mid-size university. Growing up, I was always a more devoted hockey fan than all my friends. And I'm not just saying that because none of my friends liked or cared about hockey. I played on teams from the time I was 10 years old until I graduated high school. Later, I had a brief stint covering my college team.

This summer, I've had the glorious and bizarre opportunity to work with Stan Fischler. When I tell hockey fans this bit of info, they either stare blankly or exclaim, "WOW!" - and the latter is very rare, which is unfortunate. Fischler has written close to 100 books on the sport - everything from a manuscript on the first years of the New Jersey Devils to an anthology of the best Philadelphia Flyers through 2002 - and continues to work today as an analyst for Madison Square Garden Network and as a writer of his weekly newsletter, entitled The Fischler Report.

What I'm getting at is that while working for Stan, I've had (so far) the opportunities to interview the likes of Barry Melrose, Paul Holmgren, and Scott Howson (he's the Blue Jackets GM - and you should've known it too.)

What I'm really getting at is my hockey resume - this is it. I've watched, followed, eaten and breathed the sport for the last 20 odd years. No, I didn't work in the Phoenix Coyotes PR department. No, I've never had lunch with Gordie Howe. No, I never played on a line with Adam Graves.

Mainly, I'm a fan of the game who wants to get his thoughts out and see what people think. On this blog, I'll be covering and analyzing any action I feel needs to be addressed. It won't be the next Kukla's Korner or anything like that, but it will hopefully be a forum for some interesting discussion.

Oh, and if you don't like what I have to say, please let your voice be heard!

Stay tuned for my very first post on 2008 free agency.

No comments: